July 23, 2009

Trying Something Different

Okay, so there was not much response to our interpreter blog, so let's start over. This time we're going to depend on one writer (me); and since all I know is what I do, that's what I'm going to blog about.

The first thing I want to say is that I very much appreciate working with all of you: the interpreters, the requesters, and the people of the deaf community. Most all of you have been very supportive through the years, and you have all taught me a lot (even if the only thing I learned from you was patience, still, at least I learned something!) J/K

Seriously, the interpreters in this area have been very generous with their suggestions and knowledge, and for that I am very appreciative. The general community has been for the most part great to work with, and the deaf community has given us their trust, which is highly valued.

About interpreters: I read an article on Yahoo news that made me think of those online interpreting agencies that are more frequently being used to fill jobs. In this article, which you can read here, spoken-language translators are being sent to the front lines of the war in Afganistan, often without being told of their destination. The military is depending on these translators for vital communication, but the people being sent are totally unsuited for the assignment, including being translators of the wrong language.

I know this happens all too frequently with sign language interpreting. The deaf and hearing consumers depend on the sign language interpreter for effective communication, but often the person who shows up is not qualified, or is qualified but is not a correct match. It happens even when the agency is well intentioned and striving to do the best possible job. When you are dealing with a local agency, the remedy is often simple contact: let the coordinator know that you were not satisfied with a particular interpreter, and give the reasons why. If you have a preference for a specific interpreter, let the coordinator know this. And by all means, if you feel the coordinator is not doing the best job, speak up. This coordinator appreciates all feedback, both negative and positive. It's the only way I'm going to learn to do my job better.

No comments:

Post a Comment